09 February 2011

More Thoughts

Sometimes what you are searching for is right before your eyes.  After all this experimentation, I have come to a real understanding of what art means to me, and it is captured by the description of Classical Realism.  Skill and beauty -- these are my pure objectives.  I think I have been misled by the huge amount of Modern Art that is before the public, and which the public has so embraced.  Why are the contemporary Classical Realist artists (Jeremy Lipking, Jacob Collins, Sadie Valeri) not represented in museums in the same proportion (if at all) as modern artists?  There are many papers written by scholars and others well educated in the subject.  But in my simple opinion, it is because the standards for acceptance have declined, in art and culture, as well as in most other aspects of life in general.  I think the perfect analogy of Modern Art to Classical Realism is comparison of the Grateful Dead to Mozart.

I feel liberated to have made this choice in my direction.  I am working on a small, simple still life as my first serious endeavor, and am more excited to paint it than anything that has come before.

No comments: